Finding Surgical Tech Jobs

Posted on

As one of the fastest growing employment fields out there, a Certified Surgical Tech job will enjoy many opportunities for obtaining their dream job. Surgical Tech Jobs are high and on the rise, with the majority of them being in hospital settings. The US Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that the number of Surgical Tech Jobs will increase by 25 percent by the year 2018.

Why Are Surgical Tech Jobs on the Rise ?

Advances in technology such as fiber optics and laparoscopic surgery have made many once invasive procedures much less so. As a result, with the proper training, Certified Surgical Technologists are now able to assist and perform some tasks that only a surgeon would have been able to perform with older technology.

Finding Surgical Tech Jobs

The main reason for this impressive surge of Surgical Tech Jobs, however, is the growing population of retirement-aged baby boomers.  This generation is massive, significantly higher than ever before. As older people tend to require more surgical procedures, the need for Certified Surgical Technologists becomes increasingly dire every day.

Where are Surgical Tech Jobs?

Approximately 71 percent of all Surgical Tech Jobs are found in hospital operating and delivery rooms. The other 29 percent are divided among specialty practices, doctors offices, outpatient surgical centers, and in dental offices. Surgical Tech Jobs in specialty offices tend to be the best paying positions, but they are also the most competitive. A Certified Surgical Technologist must be at the top of their game in order to compete in this branch of employment opportunities.

Applying for Surgical Tech Jobs

Every prospective Certified Surgical Technologist employer will have varying application processes, but there are a few things that are fairly universal. To begin, it is important that the candidate possesses the highest level of Certified Surgical Technologist training they can feasibly obtain. Surgical techs with an Associate’s Degree will be more employable than those holding only a certificate.

Second, the Certified Surgical Technologist must be current with their certification. After obtaining certification, it must be renewed every five years. This can be done either by completing continuing education programs and providing the proof to the certification board or by retaking the certification exam. Many Certified Surgical Technologist choose the continued education option because it makes them more marketable for higher paying positions.

Finally, anyone applying for Surgical Tech Jobs must demonstrate why they are the best candidate for the position. It is a good idea to highlight any diplomas, degrees, or awards. A Certified Surgical Technologist may also wish to obtain a letter of recommendation either from their professor or from their previous employer.

Becoming a Certified Surgical Technologist

Before one can even think about applying for Surgical Tech Jobs, the must become a Certified Surgical Technologist. The minimum requirements to do this are to complete a 9-month certification program followed by passing the national exam. Most accredited programs are found at local colleges and technical institutes, but there are a handful of online programs as well. With the online option, an internship will be necessary to get the required hands-on training.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *